Colonels Begin First ASUN Season By Hosting Central Arkansas Tuesday
RICHMOND, Ky. –The EKU men’s basketball team will play its first-ever ASUN Conference game on Tuesday when Central Arkansas visits McBrayer Arena.
The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and will air live on ESPN+. The live radio broadcast of the game is available in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM, and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com.
INSIDE THE SERIES
– This is the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
– Eastern Kentucky is 8-6 this season after beating Alice Lloyd, 106-52, on Friday.
– EKU is 10th in the nation in scoring (84.79 ppg) and Central Arkansas is 346th in the country in points allowed (81.8 ppg).
– Devontae Blanton recorded his second double-double of the season with 29 points and 14 rebounds against Alice Lloyd. Both are the most by a Colonel this season.
– The Colonels are fourth in the nation in steals (162), fourth in steals per game (11.57), fourth in turnovers forced (19.64) and fourth in turnover margin (+6.71).
– For the third time this season, Russhard Cruickshank had five or more assists in a game, this time with six against Alice Lloyd. He moved to 15th in the ASUN with 2.79 assists per game.
– With three steals against Alice Lloyd, Jomaru Brown cracked EKU’s career top-10 for steals. He is now tied with Michael Haney (2001-05) and Isaac McGlone (2013-17) for seventh all-time with 154. Brown leads the ASUN Conference with 2.00 steals per game.
– Michael Wardy had a season-high 13 points and a season-best six rebounds against Alice Lloyd. He was 6-for-6 from the field and grabbed five boards off the offensive glass.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Central Arkansas is 3-10 this season and 0-8 on the road. The Bears have wins over Oral Roberts (70-67), Hendrix (90-56) and Champion Christian (119-47).
– Jared Chatham had a team-best 18 points in Friday’s win over Champion Christian. Camren Hunter added 17 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists.
– As a team this season, Central Arkansas is averaging 69.8 points per game and allowing 81.8. Only four teams in the nation are allowing more points per game. The Bears’ opponents are shooting 47 percent from the field.
– UCA does average 7.2 steals per game.
– Darious Hall, a 6-foot-7 junior forward who has played at Arkansas and DePaul, leads the team in scoring (12.5 ppg) and rebounding (7.0 rpg). He has hit on 49 percent of his shots from the field.
– Hunter, a 6-foot-3 freshman guard, is second on the team in scoring (12.4 ppg) and rebounding (4.6 rpg) while leading the team in assists (2.7 apg) and steals (1.7 spg).