Setting the Scene
• The Youngstown State men’s basketball team closes out its four-game homestand when it welcomes Wright State, Saturday, Jan. 15. Tipoff for the contest against the Raiders at is set for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center in Youngstown, Ohio. Game coverage is available on ESPN+/570 WKBN/iHeartRadio App.
• The Penguins (9-8, 3-4 Horizon League) are coming off a second straight gut-wrenching defeat after a 68-67 last-second loss to Northern Kentucky on Jan. 13.
• Senior Tevin Olison led four players scoring in double figures with 18 points while Dwayne Cohill poured in 16 points. Sophomore Shemar Rathan-Mayes scored 13 points while Michael Akuchie added 12 points.
• Wright State (9-7, 6-1 Horizon League) is coming off a 75-73 win at Robert Morris on Jan. 13.
• Lead the Raiders is Tanner Holden with 19.9 points per game and Grant Basile with 17.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.
• Senior Michael Akuchie became the 41st player in school history to record 1,000 career points after scoring 12 points against Northern Kentucky on Jan. 13 and has 1,009 points Akuchie also became just the third YSU Division I player to accumulate 700 career boards and has 704.
• This is the first meeting between the schools at the Beeghly Center since the 2019-20 season. Both games last year were played in Dayton, Ohio.
• Youngstown State is looking to pick up its second straight win over Wright State at the Beeghly Center.
• YSU visits Cleveland State, Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, at the Wolstein Center. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
- High School Band Night
- Backboards and Blackboards – Teachers Appreciation Night – $5 GA tickets with valid teacher’s ID
- YSU Athletic Department Rummage Sale
- YSU Mouse Pad Giveaway courtesy of PNC, Allstate Rocco Nolfi Agencies, Mercy Health and WFMJ
- $5 Dunkin gift card for YSU students
Last time Out: NKU 68, YSU 67
Youngstown State dropped a second straight gut-wrenching loss defeat after a 68-67 last-second loss to Northern Kentucky on Jan. 13.
NKU’s Adrian Nelson’s layup with 1.4 seconds left turned out to be the difference in the game.
With A Win
• YSU improves to 10-8 overall and 4-4 in the Horizon League.
• Mark Youngstown State’s second straight win over the Raiders at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark the Penguins’ 15th win over Wright State and the 11th at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun’s 63rd win at YSU and the 187th of his career.
Youngstown State is having an impressive season at the free-throwing line with a team free-throw percentage of .753.
The Penguins have shot over 80 percent from the free-throw line in four of the last five games.
YSU has won four games on the road with two of the wins coming by more than 18 points. The Guins’ two road losses came at Penn State and at West Virginia.
After losing to Penn State in the opener, YSU beat Southeast Missouri, 97-79, and posted league wins at Milwaukee (72-70) and Green Bay (82-58) before falling at WVU on Dec. 22. The Penguins also have a 64-60 road league win at Robert Morris.
Rathan-Mayes Notches Career High
Rathan-Mayes scored a career-high 21 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field, including three 3-pointers.
Sunday’s game marked the first time in his career that Rathan-Mayes scored at least 20 points in a game.
70 points the Key
The Penguins are 8-2 this year when they score 70-or-more points. On five occasions, YSU has scored more than 80 points in wins against Defiance (96), SEMO (87), Central Michigan (84), Green Bay (82) and Westminster (81). Youngstown State had 70 in a victory at Milwaukee, 71 in the win against Canisius and 79 in beating St. Thomas (Minn.). The Penguins scored 72 points in a loss at Oakland on Jan. 1. The Penguins scored 80 points in an overtime loss to Cleveland State on Jan. 9.
He is shooting 91.1 percent from the charity stripe and has made 28 consecutive free throws.
Over the last 10 games, Cohill is also averaging 14 points per game.
Akuchie Reaches 1,000
This season, he has 223 points in 17 games and has scored more than 100 points in each of his five seasons with the program.
He is averaging a career-high 13.1 points pre game.
He has scored in double figures in 14 of 17 games this year with a high of 22 at Penn State. He is coming off a 10-point, eight-rebound effort against Purdue Fort Wayne.
Olison Shows Scoring Touch
Olison has scored 20-or-more points on three occasions so far. He had a season-high 27 at SEMO while adding 21 against Central Michigan and 20 at Green Bay.
His scoring prowess was on display the previous two seasons at the College of Cumberlands in Tennessee. In two years, he had 33 20-point performances.
Calhoun in Fifth Season
Jerrod Calhoun owns a career record of 186-117 and a 62-79 mark in his fifth season with the program. He ranks third in school history in wins by a head coach at YSU.
Since the Jan. 31, 2019, the Penguins own a record of 48-39 for a .552 winning percentage.
YSU has finished above .500 in each of the past two seasons.
Akuchie Mr. Rebound
Akuchie has 704 career rebounds to become the third YSU Division I player to grabbed 700 boards in a career.
He is one of three YSU Division I players to score at least 1,000 points with 700 boards.